About Clancy & History
It did not take long for the public to discover Clancy’s Irish Pub at the Barn at Lucerne. Good news apparently travels fast, and so does the aroma of Clancy’s hickory-smoked barbeque. Wildwood residents Sean and Lisa Clancy own and operate Clancy’s.
“We’ve been in the meat business for years,” said Sean Clancy, noting that his children, who help out at the restaurant, are the sixth generation of Clancy’s to work in the family business. According to Clancy having the butcher shop on-site also is a big plus for restaurant customers because steaks are cut to order at the meat market, where the meat is always fresh. Because of the fresh meats on the premises, no smoking is permitted in the restaurant, but smoking is welcome on the patio.
The atmosphere at Clancy’s is warm and casual. Clancy’s also offers catering services in the form of pig roasts, barbeques or steak dinners for parties of 25 or more. Quote from WEST Newsmagazine.com
The History of the Barn At Lucerne
A landmark of yesterdays rural countryside has become a landmark of today’s booming suburban life in the Barn at Lucerne at Clayton and Kehr’s Mill Roads. The barn was built in 1916 for the Ganahl family and was designed by Spernelli, a Swiss architect. (The Henry Bopp family had owned the property. but the Ganahls bought it from a firm called Schisler and Corneli.) It was one of the first large dairy barns in the country and the largest in the state. Built of a reinforced concrete shell, the 50,000 square foot barn had steel window sash, running water, electric lights and fireproofing. It was home to the finest of dairy cattle. Ganahl ran the dairy for 15 years and then sold it to an investment group of whom a member was Firmin Desloge. In 1941, St. Louis Dairy took over. The operation was eventually absorbed by Sealtest before its use as a dairy barn came to an end. It sat idle except for a time when it was used as an antique auto museum.
In 1968, a fire of undetermined cause damaged the barn extensively. Vandalism, and its accompanying expense, continued well into the beginnings of the project of changing the barn into a shopping center. In 1974, shops and restaurant spaces were made from the old stalls and from buildings added to augment the old structure. Quote from Ballwin Historical Commission